Friday 7 January 2011

Make Us Proud…


What a week! As the off the field drama continues to play out like some sort of far-fetched soap opera, complete with pantomime villains and would-be hero’s waiting in the wings, the attention turns to Sunday’s FAC game with Spurs.

I’m confident of one thing: any appointment of Charlton’s new manager will not happen before Caretaker Manager, Sir Keith of all Peacocks, leads out his charges at the home of the ultimate Glory Boys. Particularly for the older folk, the sight of a man rightly lauded as a true Charlton legend leading out the side will be an emotional sight. It is credit to him that despite his 65 years and comfortable ambassadorial life (you would hope) he has not shied away from this formidable challenge. Although I wouldn’t really benefit from doing so, I love to know whether he offered his services or was asked.

I second Chicago Addick’s calls for a continued and rousing rendition of “Keefy Peacocks Red & White Army” throughout the game. Great call CA!

It made me recall a moment towards the end of the game the last time we met Spurs in 2007. The Valley was packed to the rafters in what would prove to be our last home Premiership game. Mathematically we went into the game with a (very) slim chance of staying up, but relegation was all-but-confirmed when Spurs scored their second goal in a 0-2 win. With all irrational hope gone forever, The Valley seemed to stand as one with an emotional and prolonged rendition of ‘Valley Floyd Road’. Every man, woman and child seemed to join in and even the away end seemed to fall silent out of respect (perhaps they didn’t, it was just it seemed that way). A show of defiance and unity in the face of adversity. Moments like that I cherish dearly, no matter how desperate the reasoning for their conception.

I’ll be at The Lane on Sunday, sat in and amongst The Glory Boys with my Spurs supporting Brother-In-Law. My wife’s family is all Spurs, as is a large portion of my close friends and work colleagues. I’ve had the ribbing, but I’m well seasoned to the jokes. Life as an Addick gives you pretty tough skin. I’ll wear my colours underneath my neutral outer layer.

A message to Sir Keith of all Peacocks and the team: I expect nothing, but make us proud!

A message to the travelling Addicks that will pack the away end, of whom I will feel detached from like an isolated soldier behind enemy lines: make us proud, also.

You never know…you just never know!

Come on you Addicks!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment