Wednesday 20 June 2012

Honest Approach...

England just cannot win! They have, for as long as I can recall, got criticised for underachieving in major tournaments and yet even now they are still getting stick despite overachieving in Euro 2012! Expectations are typically set too high, but even the hardiest of England supporters surely wouldn't have predicted we'd win Group D without defeat. Roy's Boys are through to the Quarter Finals and I'm really beginning to wonder whether this tournament could be different. Time to get behind England.

I'll confess that with so few likable personalities in the England squad I've not been anywhere near as partisan as I have in years past, but there does seem a refreshingly honest and hungry approach to this tournament from the players. I even found myself tipping my hat to John Terry, who, say what you will about certain aspects of his persona, would walk through walls for his country. Gerrard looks in every respect the role model you'd expect from an England captain and his performances so far have been impressive. Parker continues to throw himself, quite literally, head first for the cause and I hope he manages to stay fit. I will always view him as Charlton. It would appear Roy has done well to suppress the ego's and create a unified England national side that's working hard for each other. Good on him. I really like Roy and I'd love to see him successful. Like our very own Sir Chris, Roy demands respect by simply being a decent bloke. 

Stylish, tippy-toe, one-touch football is not going to happen in an England shirt. Fact! We're not Spain but we can be as machine-like as the Germans over time. I'd be happy with that approach if we shared the same level of success that the German's have over the years. Tactically astute Roy Hodgson has got us well organised if not particularly pleasant on the eye and we are proving hard to beat, which is a fantastic trait to have. Roll on Sunday.  

JT picks the ball out the net... 

Karma was restored yesterday following Ukraine's goal that never was. Lets see how FIFA & Uefa clamour over themselves to justify how the goal line official (or whatever they are called) that stood 8 yards away never saw the ball cross the line. Personally, the very sight of the officials behind the goal humours me greatly. I'd be embarrassed to stand there if I was them. Their very presence represent how poorly the beautiful game is being run and those arrogant and ignorant fools, Blater & Platini, should hang their heads once again.

Come on England!

No comments:

Post a Comment