Tuesday 27 November 2012

Momentary Reminders...


For reasons known only to technology, every single time I open my Sky Sports football app on my iPhone I am momentarily greeted by the screen shot noted above. Every single time! You will recall, of course, that wonderful scoreline dates back to November 2010 when Johnnie Jackson and Lee Martin both scored a brace and Racon chipped in with an all-too-rare goal to give us the 3 points at London Road. That victory lifted us into second place in League One and kept our unbeaten run going for the 6th consecutive game. Unfortunately, you may also recall that just 6 games after that the wheels had firmly fallen off Charlton's promotion push and Phil Parkinson got the sack from the new club owners after an appalling 2-4 home defeat to Swindon.
 
Funny how things can change so quickly in football.
 
Tonight (and in a different division) the Addicks entertain a struggling Peterborough at The Valley and all the signs would hint to a Charlton victory. Certainly, even after the disappointment of the late equaliser from Huddersfield on Saturday, thus denying Chris Powell's men a 4th straight victory, Charlton should be confident and in good spirits. P'Bro, on the other hand, have been poor all season and continue to leak goals. A few weeks back this could easily have been a relegation 6-pointer, but our recent good form has taken us to mid-table and rightly eying the Play-Off places rather than the bottom 3.
 
Question is, what Charlton will turn up tonight? 
 
I never sit comfortable on nights like this! Every time I read a comment on Twitter assuming this is a 'home banker' or 'guarenteed 3 points' I cringe. I've seen so many nights at The Valley when expectations are crushed. It always seems to be raining on those nights as well!
 
We need the Covered End in good form tonight, that's for sure. Anything like the awesome atmosphere against Cardiff 3 weeks back and Charlton should be inspired to go for the kill.
 
Come on you Addicks! 

1 comment:

  1. I hate these type of games the most. Over the years I think Charlton have shown time and again that we do better against the bigger sides and tend to slip up against those we 'should' be beating.

    I hope Powell has them firmly drilled and that they fully understand there can be no room for complacency.

    Unfortunately I'm not going to be at the game tonight so I'll have to listen via CAFC Player, which is always a nailbiter. I just hope we can come out all guns blazing and put them away in the first half.

    ReplyDelete