Saturday 6 April 2013

The Silent Celebration...


You Did Good - Obika & Powell (image by @pedwards72)

I think it's fair to say that whilst we've been sadly lacking in home wins this season, we've certainly had our fill of unforgettable moments at the Valley. The visit of Cardiff and Bolton will take some beating for drama, but today young striker, Jonathan Obika, supplied us with another magic moment that will keep Addicks smiling all week and could well have ensured Championship football at the Valley next season. With just seconds left of 4 agonising injury time minutes, Charlton got their just rewards; a last-gasp match winner and 3 well deserved points.

Obika must have wondered whether it was even worth getting changed for the game when Powell opted to bring Kerkar on for Fuller on 77 mins, before switching Harriott up front for close to 10 mins. It's never ideal being handed your 'chance' on the 86th minute, but Obika responded wonderfully. He looked hungry and very nearly set up Solly for what looked like a certain goal within seconds of coming on.

It was Wiggins who floated in a right footed cross for Obika, who'd cleverly found space in the box to glance a sweet headed effort home. The Valley erupted!

I've been laid up most of the week with an ear and throat infection, and despite jumping around like a madman, I made no sound whatsoever, which, if viewed in isolation, would have appeared most odd. At one stage on Friday I wondered whether I'd even be fit enough to attend the game, but once that was confirmed I made myself promise I'd not aggravate my already painful throat by shouting or cheering a goal. Incredible discipline, wouldn't you agree?

Earlier in the game Johnnie Jackson had given us the lead before ex-Addick Luke Varney equalised from a rather fortuitous effort that appeared to take a sizable deflection towards goal. A draw just wouldn't have been fair at all.

So Charlton move up to 12 in the table, but most significantly, a massive 7 points clear of the relegation zone. It's inconceivable to think we could go down now, surely?

Outside the ground before the game I noted that Chris Solly appears the clear favourite in the Supporters Player of the Year award. Glancing across every clip-board I passed, his name carried the most ticks by a long way. I'm not surprised. I voted for him last year, but this time around I've gone for the likely runner up, Johnnie Jackson, who is a fantastic leader of our club. 

Last word to the Leeds fans who were impressive in numbers and noise and generous with their applause when our award winning Academy lads walked around the pitch at half time. It was a nice touch from a set of fans who don't always get the best of press.

No comments:

Post a Comment