Monday 17 June 2013

The Return of 'Proper' News...

I've wrote on this blog before about my dislike for football speculation and rumours and there's certainly an abundance of that floating around at present. For me, the closed season is a time to take a break and enjoy a few months without the stresses of worrying about the fortunes of the Addicks. During the season I find it impossible to switch off, but once the final game is over I'll go out of my way to avoid football until late July.

This week ahead should prove a little more reliable in its delivery of 'proper' Charlton news, though. Already this morning we have learnt that Oxford United of League Two will beat play us at The Valley in the first round of the Capital One Cup (most likely on Tuesday August 6th) and later today the club will reveal details of the new home and away kit (I'm praying we'll ditch the black away in favour of a return to white or yellow). The club announced last week that Andrews Sykes will retain their sponsorship of the Addicks jersey for another season. They might not be glamorous in name, but they have shown their commitment once again at a difficult economic time.

On Wednesday we can all look forward to the release of the Championship fixture list for the 2013/14 campaign, which, if you're like me, will also finally allow us to plan social events from August onwards safe in the knowledge it won't conflict with a game. Although it's always nice being at The Valley on the first day of the new season (August 3rd), I'm personally hoping we'll be away as I'll have less chance of missing a home game later in the month as a result of my family holiday.

I'm hoping to do a few more away days next season, particularly up north. The club will do well to better last years away record; with some amazing results on the road, there can't have been a better year to follow the Addicks away.

We'll all be hoping the club will announce the signings of a few new faces soon. I can accept and appreciate that our budget is very tight - and most likely relies on player sales as well - but we'd all agree a few additions are needed to strengthen what remains a largely League One squad. To match or better our final Championship position of last term is asking a lot, in my opinion. I won't be holding my breath for any marque signings and instead we can expect out-of-contract players and a few 'gambles' from the lower leagues at best.

I'd love nothing more than to be wrong, but it would appear outside investment will be required to allow us to dream a little...

No comments:

Post a Comment